Saturday, August 13, 2011

NEWSPAPER TIDBIT: Infant Dies From Burns and Fall (1920)

from The Republican (Danville, Indiana) – issue of Thursday, September 9, 1920 – page 1, column 4:

LOVABLE CHILD DIES FROM BURNS AND FALL
Heart-Rendering Accident at Home of Wendell Hadley

The infant son of Mr. and Mrs. Wendell Hadley, living southwest of town, died Monday evening from the effects of burns and falling from a high chair that morning.

The child was only thirteen months old. He was seated in a high chair near a stove where the mother was making jelly. In some manner the child rocked the chair until it toppled over. In falling, the child struck the long handle of the stew-kettle and the boiling contents fell upon the child, badly burning it about the head, face, neck and shoulders.

The parents hurried with it to Dr. Armstrong where the burns were dressed and the child returned home. The burns were not considered necessarily fatal but about 7 in the evening, the little life went out before a physician could be called.

There is some question whether the death was caused by the burns or concussion of the brain caused by the fall. The funeral was Tuesday afternoon. The parents have the sympathy of the entire community.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment