The Indiana State Archives has added an index of inmates at the Indiana Boys' School to its online collection. The Indiana Boys' School was started in Plainfield in 1867 to reform male juvenile offenders through education. Originally known as the "House of Refuge for Juvenile Offenders," its name was later changed to the Indiana Reform School for Boys and finally the Indiana Boys' School. Judges from courts across Indiana could commit boys to the school if they had been charged with a crime or with being delinquent.
The Indiana State Archives' index includes 12,700 boys who were committed to the Indiana Boys' School from 1867 to 1937 (for confidentiality reasons, boys who were committed after 1937 are not online). Additional information on the inmates is available by contacting the Indiana State Archives or visiting their facility in person.