Saturday, August 13, 2016

Loren Ray MITCHELL dies in fire (1953)

source: The Republican (Danville, Indiana) - issue of Thursday, November 19, 1953 page 1, columns 3-4:

A 7-year-old Belleville grade school boy was burned to death yesterday noon while playing in a "playhouse" in the haymow of his father's barn, 2 miles south of Belleville on State Road 39.

Loren Ray Mitchell, son of Mr. and Mrs. Lyman Mitchell, was home from school yesterday because the heating plant at the Belleville grade school was out of operation. He and a brother, Larry, age 9, were in the "playhouse" when the barn caught fire.

The cause of the fire was believed to be defective wiring. The barn contained a large amount of hay, five or six calves, a corn picker and some other small farm equipment.

The charred body of the lad was found in the southeast corner of the razed structure. The mass was identified by Coroner F.N. Wright as that of a human body.

The brother, Larry, escaped injury, but apparently the fire burned out the side of the barn causing it to cave-in on the other land.

Fire departments from Danville, Plainfield and Clayton were called to put out the fire, but it was beyond control.

It was reported at the scene of the tragedy that Loren had eight brothers and sisters, the youngest being 1 1/2 years old.

No comments:

Post a Comment