Friday, April 8, 2011

OBITUARY: Dr. Samuel Jefferson Banta (1898)

An item found in the Jamestown Press (Jamestown, Indiana) –issue of Friday, June 24, 1898 – page 4, column 4:

A Useful Life Ended
Samuel Jefferson Banta was born at Belleville, Hendricks county, Ind., March 8, 1837; died at Indianapolis, June 17, 1898.

The deceased’s life, in the most part, has been useful to mankind, his profession in the greater part of his business career being that of a physician. Much is the relief he has given to the sick, being always ready to comfort and cheer the suffering and afflicted. He was one of the business marks of this community for many years, and not a more generous souled man lived than Dr. Banta, being liberal to a fault with friends with what he possessed, ready to do a kindness to mankind and extend help to a friend.

In his youth and before he started out for himself he clerked in his father’s general store at Belleville. At the age of 14 he began keeping books for an Indianapolis firm, and at about the age of 16 he began teaching school and continued that occupation until about the time he reached manhood.

Aug. 12, 1860, he married Cynthia M. Richards at Sigourney, Iowa. To this union were born four sons and two daughters, two daughters and one son of whom are living, all in California. Directly after this marriage he enlisted in the army and served as captain of the company with honors, and during this noble service to his country he was wounded in the leg, which ultimately ended in his death. After about 15 years of this union, the partner of his joys and sorrows died.

Dec. 23, 1876, he was married to Rhoda A. Mason, and to them were born two sons and one daughter, the sons of whom are living. April 13, 1889, this wife died.

Nov. 20, 1893, he was married to Mrs. Kate L. Galvin, whose maiden name was McQuoid. To this union was born a son, now three years old.

His practice of medicine commenced at Eminence, after which he moved to Danville, then to Jamestown, where he remained in business for some 24 years. While here he owned a general store of merchandise and later a drug store, and finally going out of the drug business confined himself to the practice of medicine. The first of March of this year he moved out of town to his wife’s farm, four miles northeast of here. And on April 4 he was taken to the insane hospital at Indianapolis, his mind having so weakened he could not be safely cared for at home.

His war record shows that his first ser vice was with the Marion guards and was commissioned June 27, 1861. Entered the U.S. service with Co. H of the 7th Indiana volunteer infantry and was commissioned Sept. 1, 1861, and mustered as captain of Co. H Sept. 13, 1861; resigned June 11, 1862. Enlisted again in 103rd Minute Men and commissioned and mustered in July 10, 1863, as major. Enlisted again in 148th infantry and commissioned Feb. 25, 1865, and afterward mustered out with the regiment.

Funeral service took place Saturday at I.O.O.F. cemetery at this place at 1 o’clock, directed by Undertaker Smith. The remains were met at the 12:38 train and conducted to the cemetery by the G.A.R. Post of this place, of which the deceased was a member, where the last sad rites were held, conducted by the G.A.R. Post and closed by Rev. H.H. Dunlavey.

Those of the relatives from a distance who were present were Thadeus Banta, a nephew, and wife; Mrs. Wm. Banta, a sister-in-law; Mrs. Girley, a niece, and Miss Grace Banta, a niece, all of Martinsville; wife and children of Wm. Banta, a brother of deceased.

No comments:

Post a Comment