Sunday, April 17, 2011

OBITUARY: Mrs. L.A (Lowry) Yelton (1899)

from the Jamestown Press (Jamestown, Indiana) – issue of Friday, January 6, 1899 – page 1, column 4:

On Thursday, Dec. 29, death removed from our midst our dearly beloved sister, Mrs. L.A. Lowry-Yelton. She had been afflicted with dropsy for several months and her heart had become affected. She did not rise Thursday morning, saying she felt worse. Between 1 and 2 p.m. she yielded up the spirit.

She was born in Rush county, Ind., January 22, 1851, removing to Hendricks county, Ind., with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. John H. Lowry, in January, 1856. She united in marriage with John B. Yelton on Nov. 27, 1867. Nine children survive her, of whom the two oldest daughters are married.

A more patient, loving or truer mother never existed than she, and tho’ she had many trials in life, she bore them with remarkable patience, trusting in the Lord, that all would be well in the end. In time of sickness she was unexcelled and has been known to make self-sacrifices for those whom she thought to be more needy than herself. She united with the Christian church when very young and lived a true Christian life. She leaves countless numbers of friends and many relatives to mourn her departure.

The funeral took place at the Christian church at 2 p.m. Saturday, after which the remains were interred at the old family graveyard, southeast of town.

“May peace and rest and happiness
Be her’s forever more,
And may God bless the day we meet
Her on the other shore.”

Card of Thanks
We desire to express our most sincere thanks to the good, generous hearted people of Jamestown and vicinity who so kindly and willingly lent their loving assistance to us during the sickness and death of our beloved mother.

from the Jamestown Press (Jamestown, Indiana) – issue of Friday, January 13, 1899 – page 4 column 3:

Wm. A. Yelton of Kansas City, Mo., arrived too late last week to see his mother before she was buried. He didn’t get the telegram until five days after its arrival. He is employed as fireman on the Missouri Pacific railroad and his run has been here of late from Kansas City up in Nebraska on extra work. It has been about 14 years since he was back here. He expects to start back Sunday or Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment